Video Game Shield
The Video Game Shield is an Arduino add-on shield to make your own video games, including graphics, text, sound effects, and music! Using the power of open source, this Shield includes everything you need to make awesome black-and-white video games on your TV. It supports up to two Nintendo Wii Nunchuck or Classic controllers for an easy and familiar interface.
Do you need to output text, graphics, or audio through RCA jacks to a TV? Do you need to work with two Nunchucks or Classic Controllers at the same time? You can do both of these things with Wayne and Layne’s Video Game Shield.
Buy a Video Game Shield at the Wayne and Layne online store.
The Video Game Shield works great on many Arduino boards, including the Uno and Duemilanovae, and on Arduino-compatible boards like the Freeduino. However, it requires a few minor changes to work on the Arduino Mega.
Here’s some footage!
More demo videos are available.
- Interfaces with two Nintendo Wii Nunchuck controllers or Classic controllers using a snap-lock circuit board interface.
- Easy to assemble kit makes for a great learning experience. All parts are easy-to-solder through-hole, with no tiny surface mount parts.
- Fully open-source design means that everything is freely available and ready to be hacked, including the circuit schematic and PCB layout.
- Custom, professionally-made PCB provides for an easy soldering experience.
- Includes a series of example games, demonstrating graphics, text, sound effects, music, two-player games, and easy interfacing with the Nunchuck’s joystick, buttons, and accelerometer.
- Please note that you need a recent Arduino with the 328 chip, not one of the older Arduinos with the 168 chip. An Arduino Mega won’t work “out of the box” but the Video Game Shield can be easily modified to work with the Arduino Mega.