Blinky Grid and Blinky POV
It’s time to get your blink on!
Pssst! These are the through-hole kits. The beginner surface mount kits are located over at Blinky Grid SMT and Blinky POV SMT.
Blinky Grid is a reprogrammable LED matrix. It has 56 LEDs and can display text and animations in a variety of ways.
Blinky POV is a reprogrammable LED kit that uses persistence of vision to create the illusion of text or a small picture floating in the air.
So what? What makes these LED kits so special?
Blinky Grid and Blinky POV require no special cables or knowledge of programming. Go to the Blinky Programmer website, enter in your text and animations, and hold your Blinky up to the screen. Click the Go button on the page, and the squares start to blink, transmitting the data to the Blinky Grid or Blinky POV. It’s as simple as that!
Purchase a Blinky Grid!
Who is this for?
The Blinky Grid usually takes between 45 minutes and 2 hours to assemble, depending upon your experience. The Blinky POV usually takes between 20 minutes and an hour to assemble. Soldering isn’t hard–there’s even a 10 page comic to help show anyone how to solder. When you’re finished, you’ll have a fun toy that you can make show nearly anything you want, over and over again. Blinky Grid and Blinky POV are excellent for people who want to learn about electronics, make something with their hands, or just have a fun blinky toy. We’ve had people buy our kits to make with their children or spouses, and we’ve even sold classroom sets. Someone told us, “I’ve built a lot of electronics kits, but yours was the first one I got working on the first try!”
Other facts we’ve deemed important enough to be on the front page
- Easy to assemble kit makes for a great learning experience. All parts are easy-to-solder through-hole, with no tiny surface mount parts. (We now have a surface mount version of our Blinky kits meant for beginners!)
- Fully open-source designs means that we share the knowledge and files used to create these kits, including the circuit schematic, firmware, and PCB layout. We’ve designed the Blinky Grid and Blinky POV to be easy to modify.
- Custom, professionally-made PCB provides for an easy soldering experience.
- To construct a Blinky Grid or Blinky POV, you’ll need the respective kit, a soldering iron and solder, a diagonal cutters, two AA batteries, and optionally, a hot glue gun and wire strippers.
- Additional facts are on the FAQ page…